Family Counseling can be beneficial when the client exhibits’ signs that substance abuse is strongly influenced by family members behaviors or communications with them. Family involvement and support can be critical for substance abusers success especially when family members reinforce or support the problem. Family counseling may not be as effective if family members are themselves active substance abusers, violent, excessively angry or deny the clients substance abuse
There are many models and approaches to family counseling Reality House Programs primarily focuses on (Craft) community reinforcement and family training and concentrates on utilizing family strengths, enlisting family members help to motivate the abuser and provide support for ongoing recovery. This model works on analyzing patterns of behavior surrounding the abuser. Substance abuse triggers, positive consequences that support sober behavior. Reality House Programs family counselors work on:
- Defining and exploring co-dependency issues.
- Resolving a specific problem in the family and working towards a solution.
- Dealing with present interactions with family members
- Developing and establishing expectations of change within the family. This includes the substance abuser and family members which may require adjustments from both parties.
- Testing new patterns of behaviors
- Educating all parties on substance abuse and how it affects behavior, actions and motives.
- Educating the family on what is needed to effectively participate in the therapeutic process in dealing with substance abuse.
- Explore the effects substance abuse has had within the family.
- Providing feedback to the family about what is said during session and pointing out goals that are similar or different.
- Prioritizing conflict and providing direction for change.
The duration of family session dependent on the specifics of each family however they are typically one to two hours, once or twice a week.